Thank you to everyone who pre-registered for Channel’s “How to do an F-ing Great Land Use Study” workshop that will be held on June 21st at noon on zoom (one hour, free of charge).
This workshop is designed to listen, connect, and help you find the truth about how land use policy will impact costs and timelines for your land development project.
Here are some things to know before the workshop:
- In British Columbia, the regulatory and political environment is complex.
- Government agencies are hard-hit by the “great resignation”. There is more staff vacancy and more staff turn-over than ever.
- The municipal election on October 15, 2022 may impact how your application is considered and those political risks need consideration. For example, if the new Council is focussed on housing, your commercial project may experience delays.
- Municipalities in the Lower Mainland implement the Local Government Act/Vancouver Charter in different ways. What can be approved by staff in one location may need a Council approval in another. Policy on housing, CAC, view cones, DCL/DCC, servicing, design, streetscape, etc differs from one municipality to another.
- Senior government approvals (e.g. environmental and transportation) need to be factored into your timeline.
- 80% of applications that are submitted are incomplete or difficult to review, which makes staff review of those applications difficult. Those submissions experience delays.
- Your homework on land use policy is helpful to municipal staff because you show up prepared, which makes review of your file easier.
- Before you commit to a transaction or project, you need to know the truth about the business plan that will be viable.
A workbook will be provided in advance of the session.
We will walk though what needs to be done to ensure that you are accountable with an f-ing great understanding of the following:
- Your vision for your project in adequate detail
- All applicable land use regulations
- Summary of risks and opportunities
- Plan for next steps
We will look at how we can be helping to raise the field with applications for land use approvals.
I am excited to welcome you on Tuesday!