First of all, I hope you had a beautiful Thanksgiving! We spent the weekend in Toronto with family and friends.
In addition to enjoying fun fall festivities, I’ve been hard at work on the Uplift Fund. I’ve been meeting with a LOT of people who wear a LOT of different hats in the development and real estate space recently…
…And what they’ve had to share has been fascinating, to say the least.
It’s no secret that the last few years have been challenging in a variety of ways for anyone looking to develop. According to colleagues more in-the-know:
- Housing prices are continuing to increase due to issues with supply.
- However, the cost of developing new housing is rapidly outpacing the value of homes due to interest rates and construction prices.
- We have a dire need for housing—but it’s difficult to make the math work on new projects, under these conditions.
So what are we to make of that?? Simply put—now is an excellent time to focus on reducing risk and getting your ducks in a row with shovel ready projects, so you can act when the time is right.
This means prioritizing permitting. If you’re considering developing, don’t wait to get started until things cool off. Instead:
- There are no easy sites left. To unlock housing supply, design, servicing studies and other agreements need to be in place. That process of land use approvals and permitting takes time.
- Ensure that you have a team with expertise in permitting who know how to manage the timeline. Given the risks of construction costs and interest rates, permitting is where you’ll unlock the real value of your lands.
- If you do not invest in land use approvals, you do not have the option to develop when the timing is right.
Land use approvals are the “secret” to making the math work on projects even during turbulent conditions, [Name].
Want more information about how this all works, how you can unlock value through permitting, or how you can access the capital you need to kick things off?
Book a call here to learn how we can partner on your project through the Uplift Fund! This is a cutting-edge, collaborative capital solution where landholders and real estate investors work together to unlock valuable housing supply.
Excited to chat more about how Channel Consulting and the Uplift Fund can support your goals,